Here are some of the survey findings that I found interesting:
- 29% of plan sponsors are now making only the minimum required contribution to their DB plan(s) compared to 21% before the financial crisis.
- 8% of sponsors make ad hoc funding decisions. 15% did before the financial crisis.
- 36% (compared to 26% before the crisis) fund to explicit funding targets
- Accounting harmonization will cause 48% of plan sponsors to reconsider their commitment to DB plans, 52% to lower their equity exposure and 48% to adopt some sort of LDI strategy.
- Roughly 40% said that the financial crisis increased their employees' appreciation for DB plans.
If only Congress would recognize this and give us legislation that protects pensions instead of killing them.