Friday, November 11, 2011

Thank You

Tuesday, November 15 will mark one year since I started this blog. In the immortal words of Casey Stengel, "You could look it up." Since I will not have the opportunity on Tuesday, I thought that I would reflect a bit this morning on my first year as a blogger.

Frankly, I don't recall why I started. I do know, though, that I was really excited when I found out that someone who was neither my wife nor my child had read what I had written. Now, one year later, I have nearly 12,000 hits. People that I have never heard of have e-mailed about things I have written and none of them have been death threats. People that I do know have written me and have been very complimentary.

When I first started, I had some thoughts about what I would blog about. I was going to have a heavy focus on analyzing new laws and new regulations. Well, the lovely folks at Treasury and Labor didn't read my mind. They forgot to give us much in the way of new regulation. And, Congress, they can't get anything passed, so expecting to see new laws to analyze was nothing more than a pipe dream

So, I have evolved. I have done a lot of observational writing, perhaps patterned more after Freakonomics than the Harvard Law Review. Well, in all honesty, it's been neither, but I have tried my best to inform and to entertain, but perhaps most of all, to make you think.

It's been fun. I like to think that I am not the traditional math geek in that I can construct a proper sentence or even paragraph when I choose to. So, writing is often relaxing. Yet, at the same time, some of my thought pieces make me think as well.

And, no I'm not quitting this blog (or my other one either). It's not easy every week, though, to come up with two or three blog posts with which to entertain myself and hopefully be worth reading for at least a few of my readers. So, as I thank everyone who has taken the time to stop by to see what in the world my most recent ramble is about, I beg for these things:

  • Keep reading. I love my readers.
  • Comment some. It's not hard and it doesn't take much time. I'd like to know what you think.
  • Give me blog post ideas. 
  • Figure out why mass distribution newsletters such as NewsDash and BenefitsLink don't pick up my posts (I've tried) and convince them to do so once in a while. I know that my drivel is more worthwhile than some of what they do circulate.
  • Refer your friends to my blog. I'll even settle for referrals to your pets.
Thanks again for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment