Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Republicans Take on Health Care Reform

Today, a group of Republicans in the House of Representatives (I'm not sure, it may have been all of them) introduced the "Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act" (I don't make up these names, I just report on them). It's only two pages long, but here's what it would do as I read it:

  • Restore statutes to what they were before the health care reform legislation (PPACA) was passed
  • Repeal the health care related provisions in the Reconciliation legislation that made some technical corrections to health care reform
That's it!

Separately, the Republicans are introducing legislation (as yet unnamed, but I can't wait to see what they call it) that will focus on 12 specific goals with respect to health care (when I can find the 12, I'll post them). In any event, 4 separate committees are directed to create health care legislation that will:
  • Lower premiums through increased competition and choice
  • Increase the number of Americans who are insured
  • Protect the relationship between doctors and patients (I suspect that this has something to do with not having to change doctors and or confidentiality)
  • Prohibit taxpayer funding of abortions
  • Provide conscience protections of health care providers (somebody must have spent a lot of time crafting those words with the specific goal of confusing me)
Clearly, fun times are ahead for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment